Saturday, March 14, 2009

Thinking of Others

I just wanted to say how much I admire my wife Rylie for her ability to think and care about others when it would be so easy to focus only on ourselves at this time. Rylie does a lot of little things that no one sees or hears about so I though I would share a few. Since Preslie's death Rylie has found so many families who have angels in heaven. A month ago a couple lost twins and my sweet Rylie, deeply saddened by this, remembered the comfort that she felt when our friends got us a blanket so decided to make a basket full of things with a similar blanket and poem to ease some of this couple's pain. Another example happened a couple days ago when Rylie was looking at obituaries. She found a couple here in Michigan who lost their baby and even though she didnt know them sent a nice card with things that might help them in their journey of peace such as writing your angel's name in the sand and writing a blog.

Rylie said something funny to me the other night, "If it wasnt for me we wouldnt do anything nice for anybody." I smiled and laughed. It is in my nature to be cheap and only spend money on my girls but I agree I need to do more things for people. Preslie would want us to help others and I have seen that by helping others it truly has healed Rylie a little.

It has broken my heart seeing all the families who have to go through devastating and heartbreaking trials here on earth. I was pondering the other day how different it could have been if we had Preslie right now. I would have her on my lap with her little Duke outfit and I can honestly say I dont know if Rylie and I would have a worry in the world. We had a support group on Thursday night and while walkin into the hospital we saw this little child, no more than 3 years of age with little crutches struggling walking out and I felt so bad. I just wanted to give him a hug and say you are doing great. I was like how can this happen to little kids? It made me so mad that these little ones have to go through trials when they should just be having fun with no worries at all.

Well thanks for reading and I encourage you to do nice things for others. We have had many people do so many simple things that have brought smiles to our faces and I am grateful for my wife and mother who have shown me that by serving and helping others you can have some peace in your hearts.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

You are very lucky to have Rylie...I haven't known her for that long, but I have grown to love her. She comes to my blog frequently and leaves comments of care, concern, upliftment, prayer, etc. she is amazing. I am sure your sweet angel is proud of you both!

McGinnis Family said...

Thanks for that beautiful post, Chris! That's a very good reminder and everything you say is true!!! We all could be more giving and kind to those around us. It's amazing what loss and trials can do for someone in the way of compassion and understanding. We love you guys!!!

Alyson said...

You and Rylie are amazing. Such kind, giving, and generous parents baby Preslie has. I KNOW she is so proud of you guys! We love and miss you!

daniell miner said...

hey you!!! i miss u soo much!!! my phone landed in the toilet of all places!!!! lol! my phone is functioning again...lol! i miss u and the blogging world!! i havnt been on in forever cuz i dont have a blog!!!!lol! text me! i miss u!

Courtney said...

The love and friendship that Rylie has bestowed upon me has really uplifted my spirits in so many ways. You sure do have one amazing wife there =]

Jennalee :) said...

i just love you guys. you have some amazingly inspirational posts and i appreciate that you share so much with all of us. we miss our michigan buddies!!! hope you are doing well

Aubreydoll said...

Rylie really is an amazing person and I'm so glad that we've had the chance to grow so much closer to both of you! We love you both so much and know that Preslie couldn't have better parents than the two of you!