Thursday, February 12, 2009

"Success usually comes to those who are too busy to be looking for it.”

Things have been pretty busy lately in the life of the Martin's. Chris has been going to work, and school while trying to be here for me as well. He has been such a huge love and support to me these past few months, and I don't know what I would do without him. I am so grateful that I am able to still have him here with me, and every moment I have with him I won't take for granted.

(Superbowl Cake)


School is going well for me. I am really enjoying my Wedding Planning class, and I am learning all about how I should have done my wedding. Don't get me wrong I loved my wedding and everything about it, there is just so many new fun things that you can do for your big day. I have learned all about Preston Bailey, and the amazing weddings he has put on. I have also been in the process of planning a wedding for an "imaginary" couple which has been so fun.

Another class I am really enjoying right now is my Political Science class. I have learned more in this class then I ever did back in high school. Maybe because I wasn't paying for it then. :) I took my first Poli Sci exam today and I feel really confident that I did great on it. I am not a great test taker typically, but I have no doubt that I did well on this one.

(Representative Jase Bolger)

Also a really exciting thing happened for me this week....I got an internship with Representative Jase Bolger's office!!! I met with the Representative yesterday afternoon, and less than 2 hours later they called offering me the internship. I have LOVED my government internship class, and I think it will be a great opportunity to get back into the swing of politics. I start on Wednesday, and I couldn't be happier.

All of my other classes are going very well, and I am so fortunate to be able to have Chris in my BOM class every Tuesday morning. Brother Draut has been a great teacher for us, and it's nice to be able to have a set time for learning the gospel together. Another thing that has really helped Chris and I is we have started having Family Home Evening with the Hogges, Boardmans, and Miners. It's so comforting to be surrounded by our Michigan family, and know that we can share our love for each other and the gospel together.


As far as grieving is going. Bottom line is, I miss Preslie. How can I not miss her? I think keeping myself busy has been a real blessing, but I still have a lot of down moments where all I want to do is hold her. Chris and I had the opportunity to attend a support group tonight called HOPING. Chris and I met with some wonderful women there. One woman is a Mother of an angel and the other is an Aunt of an angel. We had a comforting 2 hour discussion, and it was nice to hear that what Chris and I are going through is totally normal. It was such a comfort to be able to talk to women who understand what I am feeling, and going through. They meet once a month, and I am excited to become more involved in the group. I hope to one day be able to help others who are dealing with a loss of a child.

(This picture is for you Aubrey!)

Our kitty Chewy is doing great, and adjusting well in our house. He is so wicked sometimes though. He thinks Chris is Hans Solo and follows him EVERYWHERE! He loves to bite and scratch, and he especially loves to try to eat our food when we are eating. Chris and I have had to start putting him upstairs while we eat, so he won't jump all over us. He has been such a healing to Chris and I, and we always look forward to going home and seeing his cute furry face.

Chris and I are headed out of Lansing tomorrow for a romantic Valentine's Day getaway in the beautiful Detroit Michigan. <-------Ha! We hope your Valentine's Day is filled with lots of love.

15 comments:

Curt, Julie, Claire and Andrew said...

Your update was great! I was so happy I could read about what is going on with you two. Your classes sound like a lot of fun. Congratulations on your internship! I can't wait to here what new things you will be doing. We love you all! We think about you, Chris and Preslie all the time and we pray for you all too.

Love,

Curter G and Julie

Sami and Mark said...

That is really cool about the internship! Awesome. I am glad to get updates of how things are going with your family. Good luck with school and the internship and have a great Valentine's Day!

Johanna said...

Congrats on the internship! I must say that superbowl cake looks amazing and it sounds like you guys have a lot going on. Even though Michigan is freezing and we dont really miss that, we definitely miss the people there. Pretty much everyone was really friendly and always willing to help out. Also I have to say that I am really jealous you are taking a wedding planning class. That just sounds so frickin cool. Good luck planning your imaginary wedding!

Katie said...

how fun- I'm glad to see everything is going so well for you!

Unknown said...

My husband and I pray for you both daily! We hope you guys have a very Happy Valentines Day!!

Brittanie said...

I'm glad school is going so well for you. Congrats on the internship! Sounds like a great opportunity!

As for missing Preslie, of course you do. But I'm glad you found a support group. I wish there had been one in Rexburg when I lost Cora. I'm sure that it would have been a great help.

I hope you have a great V-day!

Janee said...

Congrats on the internship and everything with school, that's so awesome! We pray for you and Chris and Preslie all the time and hope things continue to go well!

Janee said...

Oh I forgot to add - be careful driving to Detroit! Remember when we flew off the road driving home from Chicago last year and had to get pulled out of a ditch?! Freakin scary! Hope you have a great Valentine's weekend!

The Wilson Crew said...

Congrats on your internship that is great. Good Luck with that.
KUDOS to you!!!!!

Aubreydoll said...

Congrats on internship! I can't wait to hear more about it! I hope you guys have a great time this weekend and we can't wait to see you when you get back!

Oh, and I love the picture of Chewy! :)

Curt, Julie, Claire and Andrew said...

I want you to know that this is my first ever comment pretty much on anything. I actually read your blog all the time and for some reason I guess I just enjoy them to myself. You both are amazing and I love and miss you. Chewy makes me laugh and I want to see him and Chris playing star wars together, hehe! I am so glad that you have a great family there in Michigan, I am seriously jealous of that and having so many people that genuinely care about you. We wish we had that. Congrats on finding great opportunities to work and I am sure that you aced that test. Chris and Rylie, WE LOVE YOU. Happy V Day and I hope that coupon works!
C and J

Jenny said...

I am SO glad to hear that things are going well for you guys. I am glad that you were able to take some classes and I love little Chewy. :) Happy V Day!!

daniell miner said...

im soo excited for you! i knew you would get the internship! everyone who truly knows u loves u!!!! i miss you guys! cant wait to see u in a few weeks! thankyou for being such a strength and support to me....dont know what i would do without u!

Bob, Emily, Ellie, and Kate said...

Sorry I have been so out of the blogging world, but it is fun to see what you have been up to. It was fun talking to you yesterday. Hopefully we will see you this week!

Courtney said...

Thank you so much for your comment. I too am very sorry to hear about your loss. My husband Jason and I will be attending next months HOPING meeting and we look forward to getting to know you as well as the others.

Take care and feel free to stop by at anytime or to email me if you ever want to talk, I will be sure to do the same thing.

*hugs*