Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Sweets for Lent

I worked with a Catholic woman in Washington D.C. who did Lent every year. I think one year she gave up caffeine, and then sugar the other year. I remember my roommates and I thinking of things that we could, or would be able to give up for 40 days. Although we do not celebrate Lent, I thought it would be neat to carry on my tradition of going without something for 40 days.

I did some research on Lent, and I found it to be pretty interesting. It is a time for people to fast, cleanse, repent, pray and become closer to Christ. It is said to be a season of 40 days for the preparation of the Savior's death and Resurrection. I thought it was neat that different religions celebrate it differently, and that people are devoted to following it.

I wanted to give myself a challenge, and I decided for the next 40 days I am going to give up "All things sweet".


Since Preslie has died all I want is chocolate and sweets. I figured that since I can't drink or smoke, my crutch has become sweets. NOT GOOD! When I feel extra down or sad the first thing I do is grab the nearest treat. This has not helped myself in losing the baby weight. I have decided to give up physical sweets, and focus on spiritual sweets. I would love to become closer to my savior this year, and there is no better time then now.

I found this quote that I really liked:

"We have something wonderful and sweet, something much more vital than a chocolate bar, something that affects everyone for all eternity. We have tasted the gospel, and we know it is good. We cannot and we must not ignore the opportunity to help others taste it, too." --Elder Monte J. Brough

Wish me luck!

15 comments:

Jensie Simkins said...

Good luck! I'm not brave enough to try that!

Aubreydoll said...

You really are an inspiration! Good luck and I promise not to tempt you with anything! :)

Johanna said...

I wish you the best of luck. I really need to do something like that to kick the last few pounds I need to lose. Obviously getting closer to Christ is important as well and I am sad to admit I thought strenthening my testimony would be an added bonus to the weight loss but really it's the other way around.

Deb and Stan said...

Well, you've done it again...you've inspired me! I haven't decided yet what I'll give up, though.

I loved the quote!

Alyson said...

I love your new header! Good luck with the no sweets thing. You can do it! Think of how proud you will be when you finish, and not to mention how proud Preslie will be of her mommie!

Erin Darrington said...

Good Luck! Wow that quote you found is perfect!

McGinnis Family said...

What a great idea and what a great quote!!! Good luck! YOu'll do it, I know it! I need your cell #!

KYLE and NATALIE KOESTER said...

Good luck with your goal. That dessert picture of the brownie looks so good, I really feel like one of those now.

Jenny said...

Wow Ry, you are a lot more dedicated than me. I don't even bother trying to give up sweets, I know I'm going to eat them anyway. :) Good luck I hope that it goes well. Love you!

Curt, Julie, Claire and Andrew said...

I love it! My sister-in-law Alana did this all the time! I am not sure if she still does! I think it really is a neat thing to do!

I know everyone commented on your last photo of yourself but you reall do look good. Not only do you look good but your eyes are sparkly and your smile is bigger! We love you Rylie!

I laughed at the quote you put on this post... not because its not a great quote, its really good, but Elder Brough is my best friend Kami's dad. So I always love it when he is quoted! He was an amazing General Authority.

Janee said...

That's awesome Rylie! You can totally do it!

April said...

What a great quote. Hey and if I can do it, (I lost 29 lbs after I had my 2 baby cutting out sugar) anyone can do it. Good luck. You'll feel so good. Sugar Free jello is a total blessing. Your baby is beauitful. I can't remember if I've commented but we had our baby Harrison at 20 1/2 weeks on Oct 28, I am so sorry for you loss.

Courtney said...

I know you can do it girl. Best of luck!!!

*hugs*

Danny and Lauren's Blog said...

Once again - YOU ARE MY HERO! Xoxooooooo

Marni Bown said...

Wow, you are brave. That does sound like a cool thing to do and 40 days seems doable. Good luck with that.